French Onion Soup
Relying heavily on the ever-important ingredient—time—to perfectly caramelize the onions makes all the difference with this boldly flavored rich soup. Crowned with a toasted slice of crispy bread covered in melted cheese brings an enticing textural dimension and crunch to this classic dish.
French Onion Soup
By Allison Rivers Samson
1 teaspoon vegan butter or unflavored coconut oil
4 cups yellow onion, quartered and thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
2 bay leaves
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups vegetable broth
1/4 cup tamari
1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons vegan Worcestershire sauce
1/8 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon arrowroot
1 loaf French bread
2/3 cup meltable shredded vegan mozzarella
4 sprigs Italian parsley
1. Soup: In a large stockpot over medium heat, add oil and a layer of onions, and sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Repeat layering onions and salt until all the onions are in the pan, and allow to sweat for 15 minutes. Continue to cook for another 90 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions have turned a dark, rich brown. You might be tempted to rush this step. Don’t—it’s critical.
2. Increase the heat to medium-high and pour wine over onions, stirring as it reduces to a syrupy consistency. Add thyme, bay leaves, and garlic. Add broth and bring to a boil.
3. In a small bowl, combine tamari, vinegar, Worcestershire, mustard, and arrowroot and then stir into the onions. Reduce heat to low-medium, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
4. Crouton: 10 minutes before you're ready to serve, cut bread into large rounds that just fit inside your soup bowls. Sprinkle vegan cheese onto each slice of bread and place on a sheet pan under a broiler to melt.
5. Serve: Ladle soup into bowls and top with cheese-covered toast. Garnish with a sprig of parsley.
© Recipe by Allison Rivers Samson, Self-care Coach, award-winning vegan chef and author of Quick + Easy DIY Salad Bar, The Dairy-Freedom Cookbook, Comfortably Yum, and Co-Founder of The Dairy Detox.
Photo credit: Melanie Daponte