An exceptionally fulfilling loaf loaded with brown rice, lentils, and mushrooms for a toothsome texture with a flavorful sauce that's slightly sweet, salty, and smoky. Perfect for any dinner, or top with gravy for a delectable Thanksgiving entrée!
Hearty Lentil Meatloaf
By Allison Rivers Samson
Smoky Tomato Topping
1/2 cup tomato paste
2 tablespoons tamari
1 teaspoon coconut sugar (or dark brown sugar)
1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 cup portobello mushrooms, diced into 1/2-inch pieces
1/2 cup diced celery
1/2 cup finely diced carrot
2 cloves minced garlic
3/4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups cooked French lentils, rinsed, and well-drained
3/4 cup cooked brown rice
2 teaspoons tamari
1 1/2 teaspoons vegan Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon tapioca flour
2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, minced
3/4 cup fresh breadcrumbs
1/2 cup chopped onion
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line bottom and sides of a small loaf pan (~ 8 x 4.5 x 2.75) with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Smoky Tomato Paste: In a small bowl, combine tomato paste, tamari, sugar, liquid smoke, and garlic. Set aside.
3. Veggie Sauté: In a large skillet over medium heat, add 1/2 teaspoon oil and onions. Sauté 5 minutes. Add portobello mushrooms, and cook for 7 minutes. Transfer onion and mushrooms to a small bowl. In the skillet over medium-low heat, add remaining 1/2 teaspoon oil to skillet to sauté celery, carrot, garlic, salt, and pepper. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Loaf Mix: In a food processor, pulse the rice and lentils 10 times, then transfer to a large bowl. Transfer Veggie Sauté to the food processor and add tamari, Worcestershire sauce, Dijon, parsley, tapioca flour, and 1/3 cup of Smoky Tomato Topping. Pulse 10 times. Transfer this mixture to the bowl with rice and lentils and then fold together with reserved Veggie Sautée, and Final Add-ins: Breadcrumbs, and remaining raw chopped onion.
4. Assemble: Press half of this completed mixture into the prepared loaf pan and spread the top with half of the tomato topping. Then, add the rest of the mixture into the pan, press down, and coat with the remaining tomato topping. Cover with foil and bake 45 minutes. Uncover and cook for approximately 15 minutes, or until top is browned. Remove from oven and cool for 20 minutes before serving to allow it to set for easier slicing.
Find out how to make room for yourself in your own life, turn workouts into personal playdates, and make healthy eating feel indulgent.
Want to know how it would feel if you moved yourself to the top of your priority list, could lovingly say "no" to what's not in alignment, and lived your life "on purpose?"