Hot and fresh from the oven, these steaming buttery scones burst with blueberries and bright lemon zest.
Blueberry Lemon Gluten-Free Vegan Scones
By Allison Rivers Samson
Makes 12 scones
1 3/4 cups brown rice flour
3/4 cup oat flour
3/4 cup tapioca flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup vegan butter or unflavored coconut oil
Zest and juice of one lemon (first zest, then juice)
1/3 cup vegan milk
1/3 cup maple syrup
1 cup blueberries
1. Preheat oven to 375°F and line a baking sheet with parchment baking paper.
2. In a food processor fitted with the "s" blade pulse to combine all dry ingredients 10-15 times until the mixture becomes crumbly.
3. In a small bowl whisk together wet ingredients and then add to the dry ingredients. Pulse to combine until dough just comes together, being careful not to overmix.
4. Turn the dough into a large bowl and gently fold or knead in the blueberries. Transfer to the baking sheet lined with parchment. Carefully shape dough into a 1-inch thick square and cut an X into the dough to make four triangles, and then cut each triangle into thirds to make 12 triangles total. Slightly separate the scones so there is room for the heat to bake them in the oven. Brush tops with a very small amount of maple syrup for shine.
5. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve warm with jam or vegan butter.
Find out how to make room for yourself in your own life, turn workouts into personal playdates, and make healthy eating feel indulgent.
Want to know how it would feel if you moved yourself to the top of your priority list, could lovingly say "no" to what's not in alignment, and lived your life "on purpose?"