Tired of hearing "But I could never give up bacon"? Feed 'em this recipe!
Whether for breakfast, as bacon bits on a loaded potato, or in a vegan BLT, this delicious vegan bacon really satisfies!
Smoky Fried Tofu Bacon
By Allison Rivers Samson
10 ounces extra-firm vacuum-packed tofu
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
3 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 tablespoon tamari
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon natural smoke liquid (hickory or mesquite)
2 tablespoons onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon sun/safflower oil
1. Prep Tofu: Slice the tofu in half length-wise and then cut each half width-wise into paper-thin strips. Set aside.
2. Marinade: In a small bowl, combine nutritional yeast, water, maple syrup, tamari, salt, natural smoke liquid, onion, and garlic. Purée in a blender or with an immersion blender.
3. In a shallow container, carefully arrange tofu slices and cover with marinade and freeze for at least 2 hours. Remove from freezer and thaw at room temperature for about 2 hours. Be careful not to move the delicate tofu around too much, unless you’d prefer bacon bits instead of strips.
3. In a large skillet over medium-low heat, add oil. Gently add marinated tofu slices and pan-fry for 3 minutes per side. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
4. Serve as desired! One of my favorites is BLTs.
© Recipe by Allison Rivers Samson, Self-care Coach, award-winning vegan chef and author of Quick + Easy DIY Salad Bar, The Dairy-Freedom Cookbook, Comfortably Yum, and Co-Founder of The Dairy Detox.
Photo credit: Hannah Kaminsky
Find out how to make room for yourself in your own life, turn workouts into personal playdates, and make healthy eating feel indulgent.
Want to know how it would feel if you moved yourself to the top of your priority list, could lovingly say "no" to what's not in alignment, and lived your life "on purpose?"